Adjusting to life with a newborn is amazing and yet much more difficult then I imagined! Alot of things have been pouring through my mind since we've been home, so forgive me and this post if I seem to be all over the place. I love my baby Abby so much and she really is a great baby. A few things I've been thinking about...
-Why is there NOT a breastfeeding mothers support group? Usually I'm not all about the whole 'therapy thing,' but WOW! Why didn't anyone tell me how absolutely hard breastfeeding is? I signed up, and attended the "breastfeeding class" at my hospital...why did they make me feel like this was the most natural thing in the world, that since I had attended I was nothing short from a pro, like if I did everything right FOR INSTANCE made sure she was correctly latched, that my nipples should only be a little sore? Like after trying for 10 minutes to get her to latch on, I don't care how bad it hurts-I'm not breaking that latch! How about why she loves my right side and fights me every time on my left-it's the same thing right? How I morph my body in a very awkward position so she can lay comfortably while I (break the rule) and bring my boob to her. That I can't count the number of uncontrollable tear fests I've had while feeding or trying to feed my baby. Why I have so much freaking milk that my boobs are engorged 15 minutes after I feed then pump? Why I've already filled 35 6ounce breastfeeding storage bags at $10 bucks a box and now we are looking at buying a deep freeze. I didn't know we would be making investments along with this feeding stuff! Why my husband left the pot of soup and the bag of fruit out of the fridge and I angrily put it in tupperware and quietly (yeah right) held a grudge. Who cares if he had just fixed me lunch, cleaned by breast pump, started laundry, changed Abby's diaper and onsie, made the bed, straightened the family room, cleaned my car and the garage, emptied the garbage, filled up my water mug for the 50th time, told me what a great Mom I am, thanked me (yeah I know) for feeding our baby. Mowed the lawn, emptied out all my dead flower pots, ran to costco to get me fruit, ran to Smith's to get me breast pads, given me pep talk after pep talk about how things will get easier, hugged me while I cried, gets up every night for every feeding to help and makes sure I have everything that I need...
THEN I ATE SOME HUMBLE PIE...
Something seemed to have clicked. I realized how lucky I am!
I have a beautiful, healthy, perfect in every way baby
I have enough milk to feed my baby girl and keep her little belly plump and full and a fantastic pump to keep my freezer fully stalked
I have the most wonderful husband who works so hard, does so much and loves me and Abby more than anything
I have an amazing family, in-laws, and friends who will do anything for me and my family
I have a Heavenly Father who hears and answers my prayers. I love him.
Abby is now 14 days old and she is doing so well. Things only get better and easier. She is becoming quit the good eater (we're still working on becoming a master) she sleeps and always has all through the night (can you believe I have to wake her up to eat just so the things on my chest don't pop) in her bassinet next to Mommy. She's only had 3 blow outs-this is really good considering the amount of poopy diapers. She loves when I sing to her and rock her in her glider. I swear she likes her nursery-she's always so content in her room. She loves her Daddy and recognizes his voice. She's beautiful and I can't get enough of her. She's perfect.
12 comments:
Yep. She's beautiful and perfect and amazing.
I think you and I should start a breastfeeding support group. I said something about it on my blog and got 10 million people telling me that NOBODY has an easy time breastfeeding. So why? Why did nobody mention that? Rude.
Good for you. Breastfeeding is hard. I just weened Jack, and I finally feel like I have my body back after a year! I need to come see you. Let me know when you're up for visitors.
I will come to the support group. I have many memories of breastfeeding! It is DANG hard!!
It will get better. It took me a couple of months to be regulated. If you pump a lot after she eats, your body will think that it needs to produce that much for the next feeding so it gets tricky. It will get better though. Don't give up!!!
She is such a pretty baby:)
Stay away from little kids, there are a lot of illnesses going around right now!
What a dedicated mother you are. Hang in there, it does get easier as your milk starts to regulate. I think it's a great idea to start a support group for nursing mothers. Everyone has different challenges and it would be great to discuss and help each other.
It is totally normal to feel like your emotions are like a roller coaster for the first little while. A good cry usually does the trick. As for nursing just keep with it, it does get a little better - just do whats best for you. I am so happy for you :)
I love this post because it is SO real in what every new mom feels at first. Breastfeeding is by far the hardest part (and lack of sleep), and there is something about no sleep that makes me very angry at everything my husband did (or didn't do!). Luckily it passes and you are left with the wonderful memories of those CRAZY first days.
Good luck!
I love you Linds! You're doing great and you do have an amazing husband and sister :) I always say give everything 3 to 6 months and then the world changes. Boob issues, hormonal issues, sleep issues, irrational behavior, weird crying episodes (like me crying over Mr. Rogers..hello), and then strangely enough you're ready to do it again haha...oh the memories
Oh my.. You made me laugh then made me cry! I love you and Nate and little Abby so much. Enjoy every second of this time. They grow up so stinkin' fast. I'm sure Brenda and Chelsea will be the first ones at your breastfeeding support group!
It sounds like you are having a similar nursing experience to mine! Some tips: #1: Don't pump as much because your milk production will go into overdrive. Try to live with engorgement for a couple days to even things out. It sucks, but should help in the long run. #2: LANSINOH brand nursing pads in a purple box (at Wal-Mart) if you already haven't discovered them are the absolute best! #3: Even a proper latch HURTS like a mofo. And it will probably be painful for a month or so. #4: One day nursing will be your favorite part of the day, so keep going!
there for sure needs to be a support group for nursing... it is the hardest thing ever. Nate is right, it does get better... but that first little bit, KILLS!!!
sometimes eating humble pie is hard, but you nailed it all. you're very lucky, she is beautiful, you have amazing families.
i couldn't be happier for you guys, i can't wait to meet little Abby!!!
Abby is so beautiful. And that picture of Nate changing the dirty diaper is absolutely priceless. Ü
Post a Comment